Number: 1361
Title: libtool: unknown option character `e' in: -exported_symbol
Submitter: Ryan Schmidt
Date: Tue May 20 23:42:38 2008
Subsys: Build/Installation
Version: 2.19.20080520.1309
System: x86-OSX-10.4.11
Severity: major
Problem:
Using Xcode 2.5 (gcc 4.0.1):


/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -dynamiclib ${wl}-undefined ${wl}dynamic_lookup -o .libs/libgvplugin_core.5.0.0.dylib  .libs/gvplugin_core.o .libs/gvrender_core_dot.o .libs/gvrender_core_fig.o .libs/gvrender_core_map.o .libs/gvrender_core_ps.o .libs/gvrender_core_svg.o .libs/gvrender_core_tk.o .libs/gvrender_core_vml.o .libs/gvloadimage_core.o  -L/opt/local/lib ../../lib/gvc/.libs/libgvc.dylib /opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_rschmidt_macports_dports_graphics_graphviz-devel/work/graphviz-2.19.20080520.1309/lib/graph/.libs/libgraph.dylib /opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_rschmidt_macports_dports_graphics_graphviz-devel/work/graphviz-2.19.20080520.1309/lib/cdt/.libs/libcdt.dylib /opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_rschmidt_macports_dports_graphics_graphviz-devel/work/graphviz-2.19.20080520.1309/lib/pathplan/.libs/libpathplan.dylib /opt/local/lib/libexpat.dylib /opt/local/lib/libltdl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib ../../lib/graph/.libs/libgraph.dylib ../../lib/cdt/.libs/libcdt.dylib
 -Wl,-exported_symbol -Wl,_gvplugin_core_LTX_library -install_name  /opt/local/lib/graphviz/libgvplugin_core.5.dylib -Wl,-compatibility_version -Wl,6 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,6.0
/usr/bin/libtool: unknown option character `e' in: -exported_symbol
Usage: /usr/bin/libtool -static [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]] [-arch_only arch] [-sacLT]
Usage: /usr/bin/libtool -dynamic [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]] [-arch_only arch] [-o output] [-install_name name] [-compatibility_version #] [-current_version #] [-seg1addr 0x#] [-segs_read_only_addr 0x#] [-segs_read_write_addr 0x#] [-seg_addr_table <filename>] [-seg_addr_table_filename <file_system_path>] [-all_load] [-noall_load]
make[3]: *** [libgvplugin_core.la] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.


Comments:
[glenlow] I've added an exported_symbol flag to the ld invocation on Mac OS X in order to improve dead stripping and also prevent namespace collision when the binary plugins are used together with whatever installed pango, cairo etc. packages exist on the system. However as Emden pointed out, this flag doesn't work before Leopard. I've asked John to write some autoconfig magic to fix up the configure to detect this, and I'll use that to add or not add the flag to the plugin builds.

For now you can search for exported_symbol in the plugin Makefiles and edit it out manually.
Owner: *
Status: *